2022 A month of Halloween movies -- October 19th

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) [HBO Max]


Ironically, while I've seen sequels and successors to the movie that launched the Hammer Monsters franchise(s), I'd never actually seen this.  I wasn't terribly certain of that when Scatterkat and I sat down to watch it, but within a few minutes it was very much, "Ah, I've never seen this."

It got the Hammer pseudo-"reboots" of the Universal Monsters off to a fine start, establishing a lot of what became trademarks for the studio right out of the box: lurid makeup and effects, an attractive woman in a negligee getting menaced at some point, a retelling of a story previously retold by Universal in the 1930s, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, etc.  It's fun, garish, and a little surreal.

We enjoyed it.  I'm drawing a bit of a blank on anything else to say about it.  If you have HBO Max, pop up some popcorn, queue it up and turn the lights out. 

Comments

Popular Posts