Disrespect where it's due

A month or two I lost a Facebook friend-of-a-friend who I don't even know how or why I'd friended.  It's not a big deal.  These things happen.  It's not even worth mentioning except that the specific issue that led to us having words (via Facebook Messenger) was a bit of crankiness and disrespect I expressed towards gun owners.  An actual direct, first-generation friend, someone I knew, probably I'd have bitten my thumb instead of letting my temper off the hook.  That's a weak excuse, I realize.  How you treat strangers is twice as important as how you treat friends, really; I know this.  I don't think I've pretended to be a good man, though sometimes I remember to try.  Anyway, point is, I was pretty uncivil.

It comes up because one of those direct friends, one Mr. Jim Wright of Stonekettle Station and UCF fame, brought to my attention on his Facebook wall that some schmucks in Austin, Texas, apparently have plans to stage a mock mass shooting at the University of Texas this weekend.  "Schmucks" is kind--they're douchebags.  Assholes.

I don't write this because they're "gun rights" people.  I write this because they are either hopelessly ignorant of their own local history, or they are lacking in taste and decency because forty-nine years ought to still be too soon.  What the turds want to do is described thus by Asher Price in the Austin American-Statesman (link previous paragraph):



Comments

Popular Posts