Dire Straits, "Romeo And Juliet"

 
 
Mostly because it's probably one of the prettiest songs Dire Straits ever recorded.  "Brothers In Arms") and "Why Worry" are about the only two that come to mind in that category of "pretty"--Dire Straits recorded a lot of songs that rocked and a bunch that swung, some kind of funky songs and a lot of blues, but I don't know that their sentiments ever ran overmuch to... well, sentimentality.  I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but as awesome as Dire Straits was, you really have to look to Mark Knopfler's solo career for songs that are as sweet and tender as those three tunes ("Brothers", "Worry", "Romeo").
 
I'm going home to listen to the debate tonight, even though I'm no longer a likely voter.  Or, put another way, I'm a maximally-likely voter: the ScatterKat and I went down and took advantage of early voting to punch our tickets this past Saturday.  It wasn't like some drama was going to change our minds in the last couple of weeks of the race, was it?  Or, as I've said previously, the first couple of weeks of the race, or the years leading up to it.
 
But I feel like I'm supposed to keep abreast of this kind of thing.  I think I said that before, too.
 
It's also an excuse not to write anything, which is great because writing has been a painful and awful business.  I can't finish anything I start anymore, and I can't start much to begin with.  I'm actually planning on trying to keep pace with the NaNoWriMo schedule this year just because it might goad me into... I don't know.  You can't really be goaded into coming up with anything worth a damn, but I'm hoping it will encourage me.  The big project of the past year's been abandoned, again, and the idea I thought I'd replace it with seems to be going pear-shaped already.  I'm wondering these days if I'm temperamentally suited to being a quote-unquote "writer", but it is what it is.
 
Still, I struggle.  And my head hurts thinking about it, so enough about that.
 
 
 

Comments

Anne C. said…
I've been thinking a lot about writing lately and doing a lot of procrastination from writing. The worry I've been dealing with is that I just don't think like a writer anymore. My life experiences have taken me too far into the cynical/pragmatic and I don't really see the lyrical threads that tie things together and create that new buzzword "arcs." Of course, the wise part of my brain points out that this world view does not by any means exclude me from writerdom. That pragmatism has its place in fiction. But it's such a large step from where my writing used to come from, I don't know where or how to start.

And that wise voice pipes up again, "Excuses, excuses. You just start, dummy." A journey of a thousand miles and all that...

Good luck with your self-doubt. As I've said before, it's unwarranted, but I'm not the one who has to be convinced. :)
Eric said…
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Anne!

Popular Posts