Art Brut, "Formed A Band"


But it really is that simple, isn't it?  You form a band ("Look at us!") and then world peace breaks out.  Of course it does.

There's a great bit in the Ben Folds Five song "Army"--
 
Citing artistic differences
The band broke up in May
And in June reformed without me
And they'd got a different name

--That happened to me in college, more or less, and that was, so far as I recall, the last band I was ever in.  There were some abortive sorts of things before that, in high school; a bunch of kids in a garage and maybe two, three of us had instruments and were serious about it in any way, and I don't know why the rest of the kids were there.  They thought it would be cool to be in a band, I guess.

I was always a little stage shy.  I could play in a bedroom, a dormroom, an attic--all a little, I never played much or well.  But I never got so far as playing in front of a group.

But I recommend being fired from a band at least once in your life.  It builds character, or something like that.  Probably not as good as staying in a band, but I wouldn't know.

That great old line from Morrissey always comes back again and again: "I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible."  It wasn't, though.  Other things were, but as far as getting fired goes, I wasn't good enough to take it personally.  And we weren't much of a band anyway; you know, I don't even remember if we had a name, thinking about it.

Comments

David said…
I think everyone should be in a band when they are in high school or college. It's an awful lot of fun and requires no talent - at least it didn't when I was in one.

I always liked the performing aspect of it. It was the rehearsing that got me.

Popular Posts