The Chocolate Watchband, "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"





Maybe I'm just stealing all my weekend blog posts from last week's Aquarium Drunkard show on SiriusXM. So sue me. That catchy Air Waves number I posted yesterday was followed not long thereafter with what sounded vaguely like Mick Jagger fronting The Byrds covering Bob Dylan, which turns out to be The Chocolate Watchband's version of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".

I can dig it.

If there's any surprise for me here, I have to admit it's that I thought CWB's cover of "Baby Blue" sounded too much like late-'60s Bay Area garage psychedelia to really be late-'60s Bay Area garage psychedelia; this makes my surprise at learning the track really is late-'60s Bay Area garage psychedelia hard to imagine, especially to myself. Which is all kinds of weird metairony or something. You can get so used to things not being what they appear to be that it's somehow shocking when they really do turn out to be exactly what they appear to be; at least this happens to me sometimes, I don't know about you.

Illusions get shattered by reality all the time, but what do you call it when your reality gets shattered by reality? It figures there's some kind of dodecasyllabic German word for it, but I have no clue what it might be. Or a pithy French expression, the French are great for the pithy expressions (e.g. l'esprit d'escalier; I know all about that, could be the story of my life--well, or several chapters of it, anyway, or maybe just some key scenes).



Comments

Popular Posts