Father John Misty, "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings"





I'm having a helluva time getting this song out of my head. Something evocative in the line "We should let this dead guy sleep", which somehow seems like a perfect line. And the "Someone's gotta help me dig". The song is kind of a gothy ballad about young dysfunctional people, but I have to admit I hear those lines and think it should be a song about resurrection men.

There aren't enough songs about resurrection men, don't you think?

It's hard work: a lot of digging, prying at things with crowbars, running from the police. You'd think Springsteen would do a song about it, it's very blue collar stuff. You don't see doctors getting their arms dirty that way. Of course, if you've ever read the Robert Louis Stevenson story or seen the Robert Wise movie starring Karloff and Lugosi based on it, you know things don't go too well for those hoity-toity doctors who think they're too good to stand waist-deep in an open box trying to squeeze a corpse out of a cracked coffin, either.

I'm not sure this post went the direction I thought I expected it to.


Comments

TimBo said…
I don't read all the UCF blogs so maybe I'm missing a trend, but this is the first blog I've ever read that even mentions resurrection men. Obviously a void that needs to be filled.

And speaking of UCF what happened to your UCF image? Have you been expelled?
Eric said…
I'm still seeing the UCF images down at the foot of the page. As far as I know, I'm still in good standing.

Yes, resurrection men ought to be the subject du jour, for many jours!

Popular Posts