Uncle Tupelo, "I Wanna Be Your Dog"






It never fails to astonish me how well Uncle Tupelo's No Depression take on the Iggy song works--you wouldn't think a protopunk tune would work as a hoedown, but there you are.

I came to Uncle Tupelo, I'm afraid to confess, via the backdoor of becoming a Wilco fan after Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. That led to Wilco's back catalogue and eventually to Uncle Tupelo; for those unfamiliar with the territory, when UT acrimoniously split up, Jay Farrar went off to form Son Volt while Tweedy and the rest of Tupelo's then-lineup started going by Wilco.

I'd have to confess I've never quite been sold on Son Volt. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno. Every now and then a track surfaces that I kind of like, but nothing I've had to run out and buy. I suppose that possibly makes me a Tweedy partisan by default, which I suspect is somehow supposed to be unglamorous as such things go; the sense that I've always gotten from the old-school Uncle Tupelo fans is that Farrar was supposed to be more authentic somehow, or something. It's not something I actually care about, just one of those things I noticed somewhere along the line, or thought I did.


Comments

Nick from the O.C. said…
Throwing out hipster cred: I've been a fan of Nels Cline ever since Homogenized Goo.

Not that it makes me a better person or anything. In fact, his work with Vinny Golia was over my head. But still.
Eric said…
'Round here, Nick, that makes you a member of the club. I was pleased to death to get to see Cline as a member of the current incarnation of Plastic Ono Band down in Austin this year. The man is incredible. Indeed, where I will have to respectfully disagree with you: yes, it does make you a better man.

Popular Posts