SXSW: afternoon update

Ye gods! The overwhelming information overload while I try to process everything.

It's an awesome experience, naturally. Still, it's really hard for me to believe I've technically only done two things so far: attended a showcase for four welsh bands (which I'll do a review of when I get my thoughts a little more together) and one presentation on whether or not there's a future for music in the digital age (interesting stuff, actually, but not sure I have much to say about it). And yet I could almost call it a day.

Not a chance. Tonight I heave to do the difficult thing, choosing who I'm not going to see out of all of the acts I'd like to see who are playing at the same time or do close to each other they might as well be. (For those wondering after a Facebook exchange: Duran Duran is probably off the agenda, for better or worse.) In the meantime, I think I have a time-hole for dinner, but do I have much room after being plied with complimentary food here and there; I strongly suspect now that a clever SXSW registrant might be able to attend without buying a single meal if he or she really wanted.

Well, actually: I am starting to feel a little peckish, now that I've sat a spell. Time to perambulate again, I think.

EDIT: It occurs to me that what I just wrote is misleading, somewhat: I also walked around Austin, had an awesome breakfast burrito, wandered through the Flatstock artists' trade show and the industry trade show, both of which were awesome. So I guests it is more than two things, even technically.

Comments

Nathan said…
Who's playing at The Ghost Room?

(So hard to decide whether to talk to you here or on FB.)
Eric said…
And it didn't help my communications status that I started running out of power at The Ghost Room.

The Ghost Room show was a showcase fire a local institution called The House Of Songs that tonda a sort of exchange program for musicians. I wasn't able to get any names, but the set featured performers from Nairobi, The Faroe Islands, Sweden and Denmark, as well as some Austin locals backing them up. Good stuff!
Kathy said…
I had a feeling DD might get the cut! Totally understandable given the circumstances!

Popular Posts