Odd ruminations while flying over Arkansas

• Fred Thompson ran for president the same way he delivered performances on LAW AND ORDER: with a Southern accent and not trying very hard.

• Meaning no offense to any family members, but if I'm going to be in Arkansas, I netted another Jack and Coke. Even if I'm thirty thousand feet over the state. Sorry.

• JetBlue is very nice, but air travel has to be one of the most tedious ways off getting anywhere known to man, at least on an overcast day. After the initial thrill of leaving the ground and before the bump of landing one sits in a chair for hours starting at white-on-white-on-blue.

• That said, it's nifty to see the curve of the horizon and see for oneself what the ancients had to deduce from shadows.

• Geek that I am, it's hard to fly without recalling the Dr. Floyd bits from 2001. This is obviously much less cool than flying to the MOON. (Also: if anyone starts floating around the cabin, that would be REALLY, REALLY BAD.)

• The clouds have cleared. Over forlorn Arkansas, as luck would have it. Well. Good thing I have booze.

•I shouldn't knock Arkansas: I almost downloaded TRUE GRIT for the Kindle for this flight and might do so before I head back. IT'S JUST SO EASY.

Comments

Nathan said…
I'm not going to look up the exact (Louis CK) quote, but dude...

"YOU'RE IN THE AIR! IN A CHAIR! GOING 500MPH!"

Really, anything other than THIS IS GREAT is somewhat inappropriate.

(Not to mention, you're going somewhere and it's doubtful you'll be reduced to eating your co-travelers just to survive the trip.)
Eric said…
Pfft. Horse and buggy: that's how a real gentleman travels.

Popular Posts