Or maybe we'd watch Escape From New York, I mean, he's the President, so he'd get to pick...

I've already shared this on Facebook and Twitter, but it deserves a place on the blog: I was probably going to vote for Obama in 2012, but this image may have sealed the deal:




Please note, the man is at the register, he has cash in hand, and you know the expression on his face is because he's looking at the back cover, saying to himself, "Man, fuck Hayden Christensen, no way that whiner becomes Darth Vader, but I gotta have this for the shelf," but he can't say anything like that because he's the President of the United States Of America and if he says something like that it'll be front page news: "President Critical Of Hollywood" or something like that.

I'm probably being a tad hypocritical here, insofar as I think voting for a President because he's "just like you" is a pretty stupid reason to vote for somebody. And I should admit I kid--when I vote for Obama, it'll be because he's done a lot of things I agree with, even if he's disappointed me so many times. But I will also confess: the fact that he's a lawyer who thinks Marvel Conan comics are awesome does not hurt in the slightest. I mean, this guy may be the first President in my lifetime to whom I might be able to say, if I ever met him, "Roy Thomas did some really sweet stuff, didn't he?" And the President would be, like, "Hell yeah," and then we'd have beers and eat wings and watch Empire Strikes Back.

Okay, maybe not, but if we're going talk about relating to and identifying with a public figure: yeah, Obama's my President in a way none of those other guys were, and yeah, I dig it.



(Photo of President Obama in an Iowa bookstore last year:
AP/Charles Dharapak, via Yahoo News.)


Comments

WendyB_09 said…
I knew there was a reason I really liked the man!
David said…
Oh, Prairie Lights, how I miss that store. I spent a lot of my time and far too much of my money there while I was in grad school.

And he's paying in cash! That's almost unheard of here in the nation's tender midsection. One more point in his favor.

I'm really, really happy to have a president who feels comfortable in a bookstore on a college campus.
Nathan said…
I have it on good authority he had an aide picking up the "South Park" boxed set as soon as he left the store.

:D

Popular Posts