A post: the best song the Rolling Stones ever wrote

Here, I will present you with a question: what is the best song the Rolling Stones ever wrote? One ought to be careful, of course, to disentangle one's favorite from which one is best: one might love "Miss You" for some obscure reason, possibly a head injury, and yet one surely would concede it isn't remotely close to being the best the Stones could offer.

A proposal: the best Rolling Stones song would be one that was snarky and sly; one that melded the Stones' disparate primary influences--blues, rock and country; a song that was dark and bright; one that dealt with all of the Stones' chief thematic obsessions: love, lower-class us-v.-them bitterness, death, romantic regret, no-good wayward women.

I will now answer the question. This is the best Rolling Stones song, as performed not by the Stones, but by a Stone, Keith, along with Willie Nelson, Ryan Adams and Hank Williams III, available via the magic that is YouTube; although the video is choppy, the audio, happily, is fine:




A statement: that you're welcome to explain why clearly inferior Rolling Stones songs should be nominated as the best Rolling Stones song. Also, a benediction (of sorts): I hope you are having a fine weekend so far.




Comments

I don't have any idea about best, but the only Stone's song I've ever truly liked is "The Girl with the Faraway Eyes"
Nathan said…
I suppose that's as good a nomination as a bunch of others. I'll have to think about whether or not I'll challenge you with another offering, though. (And Miss You won't make the cut unless I suffer some traumatic head injury.)

Popular Posts