The last Friday of 2010

And so here we are, three-hundred-and-sixty-five (and seven-twelfths of a) days on from the last time it was 2009, on the last day it'll be 2010. And then tonight in around ten hours, or nine-and-a-half, I guess, it's 2011. The second decade of the Twenty-First Century starts, and I don't know that it'll be radically different from the first, but so it goes.

I feel almost guilty saying this: it hasn't been a terrible year for me. It's been a terrible year for a lot of my friends and I've lost count of how many people I know have already been bidding 2010 a good riddance and saying they'll be happy to see it gone. I won't be sad to see the year gone, but I can't say it's been all that bad to me. 2009? That was a bad year, that was a year I could have died, no shit and no exaggeration. But this year? This year it was good to be alive. This year a lot of my soul-crushing debt went away (thanks to not-dying and all I had to do was have a broken wrist for months--it's not a financial program I recommend, seriously). This was a year I sold my first short story, and I'll be damned if I can get another one sold (or even finished these days), but I can officially say I'm a paid published writer now, which counts for something.

So the year hasn't been unkind to me, personally. Which I feel sort of bad for saying, because I know it's been cruel to others. But it is what it is, and speaking for myself I could deal with 2011 being mostly like 2010 if cause-and-effect deems it fit. I don't want to seem like I'm bragging, I just can't say it's been all that bad for me, izall.

If it's been a year for you that you endured, I'm nonetheless glad you survived, which is sometimes all we get in this life and more than we can reasonably expect when you look at everything the universe arrays against us. I hope you have good friends by your side and success in your endeavors this coming year, and a good portion of joy allotted to you amidst it all.

Happy New Year.




Comments

"I hope you have good friends by your side and success in your endeavors this coming year, and a good portion of joy allotted to you amidst it all."

That's one of the nicest New Year's wishes I've ever read. And you have yourself a wonderful, safe, healthy and happy New Year, too!
Janiece said…
Eric, I've got some survivor's guilt myself, this year. As much as 2010 blew for so many, I have an awful lot to be thankful for with the exception of my Gram's death.

So while I hope 2011 shapes up for our friends who suffered, I'm calling it a considered "win" for me personally.
vince said…
No need to feel survivor's guilt - it's good to have good news and good things happening to friends. Although I do understand the feeling.

And I agree with Mrs. Bitch. I'm absolutely stealing that wish (with attribution.)

Popular Posts