The Wisdom Of Warren

I am a pop-culture kid, especially re: music; where some folks might read The Bible for wisdom and solace, I'm liable to pop on The River, let's say. Where some people might quote the Qur'an, I know every discernible Pink Floyd lyric. (Discernible? Hey, I'm not sure anybody actually knows the lyrics to "Crumbling Land" anymore.)

So when I was thinking about credit reports and such earlier this week, and what one is supposed to do when the shit has, as they say, hit the fan, naturally my mind flew to the Wisdom Of Warren, the great mutineer, genius, and occasional bad example. He hath instructed us that three things, and but three things are needed in a time of crisis: first, one must have lawyers. Second, guns. And third, completing this necessary trinity, money, for while money is surely the root of all evil, sometimes an evil must be set upon an evil, lest one become embroiled in a cage of bone or forced to wearily resort to laying one's head upon the railroad tracks. (And, most importantly, do not drink all the money with those phonies in that Hollywood bar. She may be an actress, but she isn't really a star. Not really.)

Just Warren and an acoustic guitar--"Lawyers, Guns and Money," friends:







Comments

vince said…
Yea verily, my friend, 'tis not money, but the love of it that is the root of all evil. So enjoy thy money, but do not love it, for it is a fickle lover, and will leave thee quickly in the company of an actress/model named "Snookie."
David said…
There is no greater song for pounding out your troubles upon a piano.

That whole CD was that way.
Eric said…
It was a phenomenal album, true.

I had the pleasure and sorrow of seeing Warren on one of his last tours, a year or two before he became really ill and left us. It was a phenomenal show, and of course at the time we had little idea how sick he was--he'd missed some dates on the tour because of what was described as, if I remember correctly, flu, though in retrospect whether that was what it really was or not I guess I don't know. His opener was Jill Sobule, who I also adore; a great show, a really great show.

He's missed.
David said…
Warren Zevon *and* Jill Sobule? I am truly jealous.
Eric said…
That's the kind of thing I miss most about my brief time in Chapel Hill. Warren and Jill came to the Cat's Cradle, in Carrboro, which is just right there.

It really was a great show; each performed alone with an acoustic, no band.

Popular Posts