What I'm doing now--and it's not treating people as pets, training dogs or racing rats...

This is a pre-post, but I'm assuming that at the time this hits the net, I'm in Atlanta, watching or about-to-watch Roger Waters opening The Wall live.

By way of an appropriate post, here's the trailer for the movie version of The Wall, directed with much difficulty by Alan Parker, followed by the animated sequence for "What Shall We Do Now?" created by Gerald Scarfe for the movie and the original tour; I'll go ahead, I guess, and proffer the warning that the "Now?" sequence, amongst Scarfe's best work for the Floyd (he also provided animation and art design work--including the inflatable puppets--for the band's 1977 In The Flesh tour), isn't the least bit safe for work: it's the infamous fucking flowers sequence, for starters, though I think that part is ultimately less disturbing than the climactic orgy of violent imagery that follows--infants mutating into fascist thugs, pricks that become machine guns that become hypodermics that become guitars, piles of consumptive consumption ephemera that become the backdrop for soul-swallowing, devouring winged monsters of prey; in many ways, I would rank the animated sequence for "What Shall We Do Now?" as one of the most effective pieces of horror filmmaking ever.

That aside, hopefully I'm having a blast. See you on the other side of the wall.









Comments

Popular Posts