Dumbass quote of the day

So Dr. Laura Schlessinger told CNN's Larry King Tuesday night that she's giving up her radio show, after being criticized for an on-air flameout in which she abused a black caller and used the word "nigger" 11 times. "I want to regain my First Amendment rights," she told King. "I want to be able to say what’s on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I’m sort of done with that."

-Joan Walsh, "Dr. Laura's pity party",
Salon, August 18th, 2010


Hrm. Hang on a sec....


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.



Hrm. Odd. I'm missing something here.


"I want to regain my First Amendment rights," [Schlessinger] told King. "I want to be able to say what’s on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I’m sort of done with that."

-Joan Walsh, "Dr. Laura's pity party",
Salon, August 18th, 2010


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.



Ehh... what the hell? Dammit....


"I want to be able to say what’s on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I’m sort of done with that."

-Laura Schlessinger, quoted in Joan Walsh, "Dr. Laura's pity party",
Salon, August 18th, 2010


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.



WAIT! I'VE GOT IT! YES!


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or No private individual or organization shall abridginge the inalienable right to foam off at the mouth without consequences the freedom of speech by getting pissed off when some stupid git on the radio or television acts like an ignorant, insensitive bitch, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


Fixed!

What the hell do you mean I need ratification by three-fourths of the states? Where'd you get that from?


Comments

Leanright said…
Just because it's constitutiona, doesn't mean it's not in poor taste...Wait, isn't that the debate over the Ground Zero Mosque?

Dr. Laura stepped over the line and into a pile of shit. She's not always wrong, but this time she is..just dumb.
Leanright said…
Constitutiona=Constitutional
Well, she's on the right track -- she's giving up her radio show. She can sit around in the privacy of her own home chanting the words nigger or jungle bunny or mud people or spic or wetback or faggot or fairy or dyke or raghead or camel jockey or any of the other wonderful, colorful terms for "other than straight, Christian, and white" that moronic twats (oooh! that IS fun!) like her find so "helpful and useful" to get their points across.

Argh.
Megan said…
Where did these idiots get the idea that the First Amendment protects people from being criticised when they say something stupid?
Eric said…
Wherever it was, Megan, you'll be surprised and shocked (I'm sure) by the knowledge Sarah Pain is one of those idiots.

Believe it or not, I don't mention that to beat up on Frau Sarah. It's just that it's one thing when a high school dropout thinks criticism is some kind of First Amendment violation (it's sad but understandable) and ought to be another thing when a Ph.D. and a former Vice-Presidential nominee don't have a fucking clue. (Or, in the latter case, the wherewithal to buy a goddamn vowel--Sarah, I know lots of people--particularly teenagers--on Twitter write in Tweetese, but notice that a lot of the more thoughtful grown-ups actually use full words and try to fit complete sentences in the 140-character limit. I'm sorry. I know it may seem picky of me. But come on, "b thankful 4 her voice" makes the author sound like a semiliterate moron... I already hear a chorus of "And your point is...?" from the gallery, nevermind. Forget I said anything.)
Megan said…
Even here in northern Canada, we don't want Palin representing us to the world. People ask me about her whenever I'm in the lower 48. Blech.
A couple of points. Schlessinger self-identifies as Jewish, not Christian. Which is odd, because Judiasm runs through the matriarchal line, and while her father was Jewish, her mother was Catholic. She was heavily into Orthodoxy at one time.

There are idiots of every religious persuasion.

The second point is that people with Ph.D.s who insist on the honorific in social contexts often have serious personality pathologies. I had always assumed, given the nature of topics she talks on, that Schlessenger was a Psychologist, but her Ph.D. is in physiology, on glucose metabolism. I would say that the use of that title in the context she uses it, would be similar to, oh, say, a JD claiming the title "Doctor" in public. :D

The use of that honorific is a big, big red flag that we were dealing with a flake, long before this came out.
Eric said…
John, I absolutely hate to be fair to Schlessinger, but I have no idea whether her use of the honorific is something she insists on or simply part of her marketing as a pop-culture advice counselor/shrink/whatever. Unlike some, she's entitled to it, and if an agent or producer early in her career said, "Ooo! We should call you 'Dr. Laura', it combines a veneer of credibility with a personable, accessible persona--it'll sell like hotcakes!" then I'm not going to begrudge her that. Unlike, say, Dr. Fink, she does have a doctorate.

(Actually, I think Fink may have a doctorate in Funkology from the University Of Groove, but the only evidence I have of that is his playing--which is why I can say he absolutely is in fact a real Doctor Of Funkology, no doubt about it.)

Anyway.

I'd also have to say I've had a number of teachers over the years, from high school through college, who will always affectionately be "Doctor So-and-so" whether they insist or not. (And law school profs who will always be "Professor" even if they were to insist otherwise.)

None of which actually challenges your conclusion: Schlessinger is indeed a flake and there have been flags all over the place for years and years and years. This latest is just unusually embarrassing and ridiculous, even for her.

Popular Posts