Quote Of The Day

When it was announced the other week that those laughable professional haters and funeral protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church were on their way to the San Diego Comic-Con, I really couldn't share the indignation that appeared on Twitter and elsewhere.

How could I? I knew WBC was doomed.

And here, for the quote of the day, Batocchio at Digby's Hullabaloo explains why:

The Phelps crowd might think they have God on their side, but do they really want to get into a stamina war with folks who can wait hours in line for a sneak peek at The Green Hornet or an autograph from Stan Lee or Ray Bradbury? Mess with fanboys and fangirls on Star Wars Day and the Force will not be with you.


I mean, seriously. Part of what makes the WBC so despicable when they picket a soldiers' funeral is that, no disrespect meant to anyone's family, but most mainstream people really aren't prepared to be confronted with that level of ignorance and hatred even under good circumstances, much less in the midst of profound grief.

A guy dressed as a Powerpuff Girl, on the other hand? He really doesn't care what you think of him.

I say this with all love and affection for my brothers and sisters in the Tribe Of Geek: we're used to people hating the stuff we love, to people making fun of the stuff we love, to people not getting it and expressing their profound ignorance in our general direction. Usually, of course, it's people who don't know how much time Aragorn spent in Gondor while he was still undercover as a Ranger decades prior to the War Of The Ring, or the diameter of the Second Death Star or not knowing what the weapons load-out is on a Starfury or who Spider-Man's first nemesis was. People showing up to tell us that we should stop worshiping Batman is, admittedly, a little novel. But it's still not as bad as the time someone came over to our table in the school cafeteria and grabbed our dice and wouldn't give them back, calling us a bunch of dorks, etc.

Those of us who get past the awkward pupal stage develop thick skins and sharp stings. The WBC was screwed as soon as they decided to show up. I mean, shit, kids, they decided to go get PWNED by a bunch of people dressed like cartoon characters. There was no doubt in my mind that my clan was going to acquit themselves well, and they did. Glory to the Hynotoad.

My favorite sign in in this image set, by the way, is the one that says "ODIN IS GOD: READ THE MIGHTY THOR #5." I fucking hate Thor, man, but that's pretty damn funny.

Comments

I had to laugh at the person dressed as Bender with a sign "Kill All Humans". What is the world is the Westboro crowd going to do to cow him? Nothin'!

Dr. Phil
Eric said…
Apparently Bender was also shouting his catchphrase: "Bite my shiny metal ass!"

I love it.
David said…
This just made my day.

Nerds rule, ok.
Nathan said…
Priceless!

----------

My WV is equid - a unit of currency necessary for shopping at Amazon.UK
Jim Wright said…
Looking at WBC in front of ComicCon and all I can think of is Ruthless People, with the cops watching Bill Pullman's character: "This just may be the stupidest person in the world..."

Popular Posts