Nothing greater

And this is the end of Prince Week (YEEEHAW!), which may be a relief to some of you.

My first thought was to go with "Sign O' The Times" for a bit of darkness. It's a somber, brutal song. But y'know what? It's fucking Friday. We need something... Friday.

So I went looking for "Mountains." I was really looking for the original music video. What I found instead was this--which doesn't have a video, but... damn, it's special. Prince is one of those artists known for his afterparties--gigs after a show where he just kind of hangs out in a small venue, a club or someplace, and jams with the band (George Clinton does the same thing). I don't know that this version of "Mountains" is an afterparty version, but I'm 99% certain: it's pretty obviously a small crowd, for starters. Small enough, in fact, for this version to be acoustic. (If you love Prince as much as I do, you may have just swooned over that last sentence.)






If you hate the man, I don't know if anything I or Michelle posted this week won you over. All I can say is that he's one of the finest musicians and songwriters of his generation, and if you don't dig it--yes, he's kinda crazy, yes he's gone through weird sartorial phases and looks strange, yes he's sometimes acted like a total cock--but if you don't dig what the man does as a musician... then, yeah, you are missing something. Sorry. I know I'm not supposed to say things like this, taste being subjective and all of that. But some things really are just good or bad, whether you enjoy them or not, and Prince is just, simply good--I'm not saying you have to run out and become a devotee or anything, but whether or not the guy is an extraordinary talent isn't something that anyone can argue over, that's just how it is.

Sorry if that's arrogant to put into print, but whatever. It is what it is.

Have a great Friday.

Comments

Nathan said…
OK, I'll give you that one. That's incredible.
That's very ... conservative... of you. :p
Eric said…
It must be all these comments from Leanright, altering my consciousness and stuff. I even heard a Ted Nugent song I liked on the radio last week.

Popular Posts