"It breaks my heart to see those stars..."

When I was pulling that old clip of John Hiatt doing "Icy Blue Heart," it was hard to resist pre-posting this clip of him playing "Perfectly Good Guitar" on the same German TV show.




When Hiatt originally recorded this song in the early '90s, it resonated in a kind of curmudgeonly way with me--this was right in the middle of the era when Kurt Cobain was sort of infamous for ending Nirvana performances by doing a Pete Townshend and trashing the stage with some more-than perfectly good guitars--those Fender Jags Kurt liked to play weren't exactly filling up the pawnshop racks, especially after Nirvana hit big and a lot of kids wanted the same thing he was playing. Of course, the Hiatt song outlived Cobain's guitar-smashing days, in the saddest, awfulest way possible. Whether Kurt regretted any of those Jaguars or would have cradled one... I guess it doesn't matter, does it?

Anyway, I know some people hate it, but I think it's a kicking song and it's my blog, so fuck you, eh?


Comments

Nathan said…
No offense taken here. I'm mostly in agreement. (I mean if somebody did it a couple of times -- that's spontaneity. Do it every show and it's a (not so) cheap gimmick.

And there's this version that has better sound.

BTW. is "it's my blog, so fuck you, eh" a meme I should be following up?
Eric said…
"It's my blog, so fuck you" is a meme everybody ought to follow!

Popular Posts