"Everything's gonna be alright..."

And now, because I haven't put anything up today and don't really have anything, and because it was running through my head for some strange reason while I was making dinner, one of my favorite Bob Marley And The Wailers tracks, "No Woman, No Cry."

Two quick things about this. First, more evidence of the Internet's awesomeness: in looking for the song on YouTube, I was fortunate enough to find this clip, which is an extraordinary live version filmed in Boston in 1979. Even if you're--I shudder to write this--not a Marley fan, it's worth a play in spite of some sound glitches that may be a recording artifact or mic trouble, it's hard to say. Secondly, and I did not know this: when I was checking Wikipedia just to be anal about whether there was a comma in "No Woman, No Cry," I stumbled across this bit of trivia:

Though Bob Marley may have written the song, or may have written the melody, songwriter credits were given to "V. Ford". Vincent Ford was a friend of Marley's who ran a soup kitchen in Trenchtown, the ghetto of Kingston, Jamaica where Marley grew up. The royalty checks received by Ford ensured the survival and continual running of his soup kitchen.


Helluva guy, that Marley.

And now, without further ado (or with a further adieu, heh), Marley And The Wailers:





Comments

vince said…
Marley was a wonderful artist, and from what I've read, and damn decent human being as well.

Popular Posts