Who's a pretty blog! Yes you are! Yes you are!

Ahem.

Alright, so that's not exactly the most dignified way I could have announced what you've presumably already noticed: that Standing On The Shoulders Of Giant Midgets has undergone a massive, belated makeover. Notice, notice, notice. Hopefully, you like? Ja, ja?

There are a number of reasons this should have been done a while back. First and foremost, although I really love dark backgrounds, I'm as aware as anyone (and, yes, have been--sorry) that white text on a dark background increases eyestrain. Have known it since, sadly, shortly after making the decision last year to go with a dark theme. And I've been meaning to do something about it for a while, even before a tongue-in-cheek plaint on Twitter from a friend about somebody else's dark, eye-straining blog. And I'll be honest, the change, which, again, was overdue, I know, was largely the result of having free time this afternoon to spend a few hours picking a template and transferring things over, otherwise I would have put it off again.

Which brings us, not-at-all-paradoxically, to another reason for the change and the lateness of the change: the previous template was pretty awesome in a lot of ways, but easy customization was not one of them. As big a reason for making a change as the readability of the blog was to switch over to a template that should be easier to edit by somebody as clueless about HTML and CSS and the rest of it as anybody. "Werd," the template you're looking at, should be (and already has been) easier to tweak using Blogger's GUI when it comes to colors, column layouts, etc. Which is nice, though I do have friends (e.g. Michelle) who were superabundantly awesomehelpful when it came to modifying headers and things (and yes, those really are words, you can look 'em up). The sad confession I must make about the help I received in customizing the previous incarnation, however, is that whereas my friends sent me wonderful e-mails explaining in thorough detail the snippets of code and what they would do and so forth, all my brain was really able to parse was, "it's MAGIC!"

I know, I suck. I'm sorry. I'm smart about other things. Honest.

Along with all that, there's also the fact that while the previous look was (in my opinion) cool, it was also (and still my opinion here, of course), so very, very, very 2008. Which in internet years is like being really, really, really old, like stinky geezer who always wears the same undershirt every day and has socks with garters old. Which, actually, ties into all of the above: blogs have evolved, Blogger has evolved, etc.

So: the newest version of the blog should be easier for you to read and easier for me to run. Hope you like the new digs.

Oh, and happy solstice, everybody!


Comments

Janiece said…
Ooo! Aaah! FABULOUS!

I like the drawing, too. Who did it?
WendyB_09 said…
Me likee. Nice clean look.

Great job!
Nathan said…
I kept trying to come up with the right adjective (awe-tastic? fantabulous? groovy?) and rejecting them all. And something else kept trying to edge those words out. And it kept sounding right in my head (even though I know it's totally not).

So I'm going with it anyway.

Dude! Your new layout is totally testicular!
Jim Wright said…
Oh thank God.

Dude the previous color scheme was killing me. I didn't want to say anything because I knew you'd break down bawling like a little republican who lost the healthcare vote and I hate that - but, people were talking. There were entire user groups like alt.erics.blog.template.fucking.blows and alt.midgets.are.making.my.head.hurt dedicated to the the hating of your previous template.

Seriously. I thank you, my eyes thank you, my monitor thanks you - however, my optometrist spits on your grave for the damage you have already caused me and referred to your previous template as "a pimple on the ass of humanity."

Love this one. And the edge detect line drawing likeness of young Orson Wells in the header is fantabulous (not quite Avatar fantabulous, but not bad).
neurondoc said…
Love the heading picture and really really love the dark text on light background. My eyeballs always hurt after reading your blog's prior incarnation.
Eric said…
Janiece: Jim nailed it re: the header--it's a GIMP edge-detect script applied to the same photo used in my profile, with a canvas effect added, along with the word balloon. As before, I plan on rotating headers.

Glad everyone likes the new look!
Jeff Hentosz said…
Is beautiful. But until you pointed it out, I didn't notice the difference.*






* XD
Carol Elaine said…
It's very nice.

Granted, I'm one of those weirdos who prefers light text on dark background because too much whitespace makes my eyes twitchy and I really like high contrast between text and background, which means your previous design works better for me. But as, for some obscure reason, the internet is not all about me, I guess I'll deal somehow.

I am very fond of the drawing likeness above. Very cool. And I prefer the current inline commenting.
MWT said…
Nice. ;) I do like that the text isn't as tiny as it used to be, which makes it easier for me to read. Even though I did like the lighter text on dark background.

Inline commenting: I like it in theory, but in practice I have to zoom back out to 100% to make it work on Blogger.

Meanwhile, where's your obligatory cat pic? :)
Eric said…
Carol Elaine: the new template has the coding for the inline commenting already built in, something I was really too intimidated to add to the old template. Another example of that whole "long in tooth"/"eight hundred years old in internet years" thing with the old template.

MWT: I'll see if I can cat you later.... :)
Ilya said…
I'll be in a dissenting minority when I say that I liked your old theme well enough. White on black don't bother me much, from my old shell programming days.

If I may also offer some criticism, I find mouse-over white color for hyperlinks slightly disorienting on fairly light background.

That being said, the new theme looks very nice and crisp. Good choice!
Holy crap! It's so neat and tidy in here now... hey, Janiece, did you ever get the TP cannon? Let's break this pristine place in right!

Looks great Eric!

I just learned that my blog is so last year! All those different colors and pictures slapped in willy-nilly just won't do anymore. Well, they weren't talking about my blog, specifically, but if the font color fits....
Eric said…
Ilya: I'm actually trying to decide whether or not the mouse-over white is something I hate, so I appreciate the input. That may be something that changes in the next few days--happily, as I said, I can now use Blogger's GUI interface to change colors instead of having to dig through the page's code and figure out a hex.
BAH! Grey text on a white background hurts MY eyes!

(wanders off mumbling and kicking rocks)
Eric said…
Sorry, Michelle. :(

(Boy, making everybody happy sure is hard.)

Popular Posts