Thursday

I have to admit, I'm a little out-of-sorts today. Part of me feels like I ought to be compelled to ring in the New Year....

And part of me wants to just treat today like Thursday.

I've resisted doing the year-in-review or decade-in review post because its been an awful year and an awful decade, and anyway everyone else has done theirs. It's improbable that my review of the decade would be any better than anybody else's. And regular readers have seen what happened to my car and wrist this year, or have suffered through my moans and groans about faltering creative input.

(As for New Year's resolutions, aren't they obvious? I'd like to be nicer, and write more, and whine less.... And I have an ill feeling beggars are more likely to ride, but whatever.)

Just how weak is the end of this decade? Pedantically, it isn't. The end, I mean. You know, the "year one" thing and all that means that the first decade of the 21st Century began in 2001; it's just that it sounds absurd to say that 1930 was the last year of the "Roaring Twenties" or that The Fifties came to an end on the first day of 1961. 2010 will be the first year of the "Tens" or "Teens" or whatever we call them, even if it's not technically a new decade....

But what to call the abortion of 2000-2009? "The Oughts" is too cute, "The Naughts" is too British and "The Naughties" is too cute and too British. I think "The Zeros" is probably about right, or, better still, do we even have to talk about them at all?

(Answering my own question: yes, sadly--after all the damage the Bushites did during their eight-out-of-ten years, we may be stuck talking about The Zeros for many years to come.)

Thursday, however: nothing wrong with a Thursday. You're a mere day towards mortality, not a year or decade closer to the final chapter and epilogue. Thursday is just another day--usually nothing to celebrate, nothing to mourn, yessireebob, it's just Thursday, la, la, laaa.

So I'm thinking, really thinking--maybe, instead of going out to dinner or hanging with friends, maybe... maybe, just take it as a Thursday.

It's named after Thor, you know. Thor is awesome: he was the Norse god who wrestled The Incredible Hulk to a draw that time Hulk and Namor joined forces to fight The Avengers.

But Happy New Year's Eve if you'd like.

Comments

Nathan said…
I have no idea what to call the decade just past, although I'm a little partial to "the oughts". (It ought to have been a better decade, but it wasn't.)

My big bugaboo is that I think it's time to switch from calling years "Two-thousand whatever" to "Twenty whatever". That extra syllable is just a big waste of time.

Happy Twenty-Ten!
vince said…
I've never ben a big New Years person. If I went anywhere, almost always it was to friends for a (small) party. This year I'm staying home, having a few snack-type goodies, and watching movies.

Most of what I've read about the decade soon to be gone is calling the "The Oughts" whether they ought to or not.

And I'm with Nathan on calling years "Twenty whatever" so Happy Twenty-Ten!
Anonymous said…
How about the "0h 0h's".

:-)
Keith Wilson said…
How 'bout we just wrap the whole decade up and pitch it in the trash. We'll just call it that crappy period, and call a do-over. We're opening the do-over with the NHL Winter Classic this afternoon, with good friends. A nice start to a year with great potential. Let's just hope nobody screws this one up. Happy New Year.
MWT said…
Also, do you know that your embedded-comment feature makes it annoying to define the captchas? I can't see it until I click post comment, and then I can't go back and edit my comment. T.T

Previous comment was stenfic: fiction about stenography
MWT said…
Figures. And for that second one, it was inology: the study of inns.

(I could do this all day if it keeps giving me interesting ones...)

Popular Posts