Carol Elaine's wish is my command...

Over at Random (but not really), Michelle is asking people what their favorite Christmas songs are. Mine, as it happens, is a Christmas song about a pair of Irish immigrants, one a drunk and the other a junkie, fighting on the holiday, and begins with the immortal line, "It was Christmas Eve in the drunk tank." Make of that what you will.

Although it also closes with the exchange:

I could have been someone--

Well so could anyone. You took my dreams from me when I first found you.

I kept 'em with me, babe, I put 'em with my own
Can't make it all alone--I built my dreams around you


--lines that cause something funny to happen to my eyes just typing them. Probably wandering allergies. Stoopid allergies.

But, yes, it's The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl, "Fairytale Of New York." In the comments at Random, Carol Elaine said she would have to check it out--her wish is my command, the music video is below. The song has seen release a few times for both acts: the original release is on The Pogues' If I Should Fall From Grace With God, their masterpiece and one of those albums You Really Must Own; it was also released by the late Ms. MacColl on her best-of retrospective, Galore, with the added bonus that Galore also includes her other major collaboration with The Pogues, the version of "Miss Otis Regrets" that they originally recorded together for the Red, Hot and Blue benefit album (it's also a wonderful collection in general for those looking for an entrypoint to Ms. MacColl's catalogue).

Now, the best Christmas song ever!






Comments

Carol Elaine said…
You know, I have heard that song before - I just didn't realize it. Thank you, Eric - it is great. Though I don't seem to be attacked by allergies with those last lines, I think I have an eyelash in my eye though...

Now I must wish for something grand: one million dollars!

*waiting, waiting, waiting*

Well, I guess that one will take a little bit longer.

BTW, "Miss Otis Regrets" is a hell of a song - I love Ella Fitzgerald's rendition. Then again, I love Ella Fitzgerald.
Uncle Bob said…
Funny you should post Fairytale of New York after reading Going Rogue-- A very good discussion of Going Rogue at Samsara Samizdat ended with a couple of commenters "imagining" Track Palin singing Fairytale with Shane MacGowan, at a Pogues concert in Wasilla, of all places. Synchronicity.

http://samsamdat.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-hate-peopleand-i-dont-care-if-they.html
Eric said…
Thanks for passing along that link--the article at Samizdat is actually excellent and very, very thorough--much more thorough than I had the patience to be.

I especially got a kick out of the Melville comments in the review--that was something else I'd gotten a special laugh at while while reading Rogue.

Popular Posts