Tapping out

Well, I guess I oughter make it one of them there official pronouncyments... I'm tapping outta th' ring.

No, this is good, really, truly. I made the decision yesterday, or really Saturday, I think, and nearly posted it yesterday but wanted to stew in it a bit before I made some kind of honking big deal over it. Which in a way it is, since it's the first time in four years now that I'm starting and finishing, if that's the right word, early.

Oh dear, I still haven't come out and just said it, have I? I'm done with NaNoWriMo 2009.

There it is. That's supposedly the bad news. The good news is that I spent the past two days thinking about restarting something I really wanted to write and spent my lunch hour today, when I wasn't taking calls, doing a little bit of cursory world building. I would have done some world building yesterday, but I wanted to do it with Campaign Cartographer and City Designer Pro and I couldn't get it to work under WINE (it's possibly an expired registration issue, not a compatibility problem), but that's something else, and negligible. The thing of it is, I'm actually a little excited about writing again, which is what NaNoWriMo was supposed to get me to whether I made 50,000 words or not.

What I had wasn't much of a story; what I did was take a bunch of scraps I had lying around my brain and dumped them into one pot with a badly-drawn character I didn't put much thought into. There was the half-baked ghost story, and the horror story about a raingod, and it was stuck into an old European town not too far off of something I'd already written, only it was occasionally nonsensical or absurdist, to which end I had a whole bunch of really inept German spies running around. When I hit a point where I wanted to write something else, it was also a point (not entirely coincidentally) where I really had nowhere to go with what was going in the "story" of this American reporter going to a constantly-raining town haunted by ghosts and stuffed with German spies. Indeed, that's why I'm telling you what I had--I'm never going back there again, unless it's to strip if for parts sometime.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll start writing the new/old thing though I feel like I've started already. I may draw a little bit, first, or try to--I'm no artist. I have some numbers in my netbook, that's good. I have some clumpy bits I have to chop up, too, before I can really get going. I feel like I'm talking about this too much, actually--but you have to understand, I'm feeling a bit giddy about this whole thing again, and that's really, really good.

NaNoWriMo 2009: best failure ever.

Root for me. Thanks.



Comments

vince said…
That's great! I'm glad to see you've gotten back the desire/joy you've been missing from trying to write, and that NaNoWriMo did that for yu is definitely a win.

Go Eric!
Janiece said…
A good "failure" is better than a crappy "success," in my opinion.

Good for you.
mattw said…
:( Sad to see you're tapping out, but glad to see you're excited about a new projet.

As you said "The thing of it is, I'm actually a little excited about writing again, which is what NaNoWriMo was supposed to get me to whether I made 50,000 words or not." So essentially, NaNoWriMo sounds like it worked for you, just not in the way you had anticipated.

And who knows, maybe you'll have super writing sprees and pump out 4,000-5,000 words a day for a few days and be at 50,000 by Nov. 30 anyway. What?

Anywho, Go Eric!
only it was occasionally nonsensical or absurdist,

You? Write something absurdist? Say it ain't so... :D

Good luck with the new project. I'm always happy to be a beta reader if you need one.
Anne C. said…
Janiece said it well. Congrats on your new-found enthusiasm.

By the way, I have the typewriter that you have pictured there. It's mostly decorative, but I love all the moving parts!
Anne C. said…
PS - That program looks cool. A bit pricey for me considering my other expenses this quarter and considering I am trained to do this kind of thing with a piece of paper and a pencil.

Still, it looks very cool. ;)

Popular Posts