"Spacious Thoughts"

Yesterday I got a cryptic e-mail from my sister that basically only said:

Have you seen this? Tom Waits is awesome.


Tom Waits is awesome, no doubt. But there wasn't an attachment! Had I seen what, exactly? Ah, but I'm a nerd, and I did have a guess, one which could be wrong: while I hadn't yet watched it, I was aware that Boing Boing had just featured some kind of music video involving the great Mr. Waits. And not just Tom Waits, but also another one of my very favorite deranged genius wordsmiths, the masterful Mr. Keith Thornton, a.k.a. Kool Keith a.k.a. Dr. Octagon. (I'm not sure my sister was aware I'm a Kool Keith fan, but if she was, double kudos, sis.)

"Spacious Thoughts" is the work of NASA (North America/South America, not the space agency, though it's possible Kool Keith is from someplace other than Earth), with Waits and Keith, as mentioned, and Boing Boing's comment, "great god almighty could it get any more awesome?" is dead-on. Actually, wait, I can answer their ostensibly rhetorical question: no. This could not get any more awesome. Wait, you could have some really spectacular animation--why, just like the animation done for the video by Fluorescent Hill. Well. There it is then.

This really is fucking awesome, seriously fucking awesome stuff. I hope you like it. (Oh--one more thing: if you have a pair of bicolor 3D glasses around the house--totally worth it. It's awesome without them... and awesomest with)

(And Bird, if this wasn't what you were talking about, I'm always up for more evidence of Tom Waits' awesomeness....)





Comments

r*bird said…
I am glad you liked the video, but more importantly you knew what I meant to send! Funny that I spaced out on the link for "Spacious Thoughts."

Also, Kool Keith?!? I had no idea you liked that crazy mo'fo.
Eric said…
Anybody who drops a Chairface Chippendale reference in a rhyme has my loyalty. But aside from him being a serious geek, he's also just a mad poet, I mean, just phenomenal.

I almost downloaded the NASA album the other night, but there's a fifteen-minute track that's only available on the CD version. (I listened to a sample on Amazon, and it sounded like I'd miss it if I didn't get it.) Have you looked at it? It's a really badass project.

Popular Posts