Ruination Day or Black Friday, whichever you like



Some of you may recall an exchange between regular commenter Leanright and I in the wake of a post written back near the end of October, the gist of which was that I would in fact read Sarah Palin's memoir, Going Rogue: An American Life, if he paid me to do it.

And then this happened:



"This" being a copy of Going Rogue: An American Life, a six-pack of Stone Ruination IPA, and an envelope containing a personal check for $9.00 (our original discussion having called for an $8.98 payment, I suppose you could say Leanright just had to put his two cents in, ha-ha).

So, according to our bargain, I will now read Going Rogue: An American Life, as I was bribed to do. I repeat this whole thing about the bribery part of it simply so the Federal Trade Commission doesn't think I'm misrepresenting something, somehow. Because, you know, I wouldn't want the FTC to stumble across my blog and not realize that I was reading Going Rogue: An American Life as some kind of uncompensated thing; actually, I wouldn't want either of my parents to think I was reading Going Rogue: An American Life as part of an uncompensated thing. I received beer:



I took a check:



...for a book which will fit in so nicely with the rest of my bookshelf...



(I swear I think I felt Michael Moore's bloodcurdling screams through my chin when I took that last picture.)

But I kid, I kid about that last part: Going Rogue: An American Life (can you tell I think the title is kind of funny from the way I keep repeating it?--it's like they wanted to make sure nobody at Barnes & Noble would accidentally pick up Going Rogue: An Armenian Comedy by mistake) will fit in very well with my bookshelf, actually. After all, I've already read the sequel:



Rimshot! Fist jab! Oo, yeah! Like wolves from a chopper, baby!

Heh. I kill me. Now, on to a more serious point, which is that I will be making one retroactive alteration to my deal with Leanright, although I don't think he'll mind too much. He insisted I write a review within a week; this I may still do, in a summary fashion, but what I actually mean to do instead is (in my opinion) one better--I will be blogging Going Rogue: An American Life as I read it, with updates at least once a day unless I'm too drunk to type. This may make a "review" a bit redundant, hence the alteration of the devil's bargain. Going Rogue: An American Life entries will have the blog entry "reading rogue," if that helps anyone. I also plan on tweeting the book, if I can manage that, and you can follow me at Twitter (sotsogm); I will also use the hashtag "#readingrogue", which appears to be unclaimed.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, we must ask ourselves that immortal literary question wrestled with by such titans as F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Dorothy Parker, Raymond Chandler, Dylan Thomas, Tennessee Williams, and Edgar Allan Poe: it's three in the afternoon--is it too early to get potted?





Comments

Jeri said…
No, it's not too early to get potted with Sarah, and I'm vastly entertained by the idea of you drunkblogging. So drink up! For our entertainment!

And - thank you for taking the hit for all of us on reading the book. :) And thank you also for more great Evanpix. Your fan club appreciates that.
Nathan said…
I read this on my phone! W00t
Jeff Hentosz said…
A post on it once a day!? Man, if you can't get through it by the time SGU comes on tonight I'm going to be POWERFUL disappointed.

Skim, baby, skim!
Nathan said…
OK, I only read the first (most) part of it on my phone (and posted that first comment from there too!)

But I went to the actual laptop to complete my reading where I was delighted -- hugely delighted -- to read that you'd be live blogging your reading experience.

Will there be farts and burps embedded? That'd be kinda cool (in a really gross sorta way).
Janiece said…
...is it too early to get potted?

Elf apparently doesn't think so, and I'm with Jeri - thanks for taking one for the team (and for the Evanpix - rowwr). I can't IMAGINE what your mental state will be by the time this is all over, but I suspect whatever it is, we'll be the big winners on this one.

I shall now go pop some popcorn and await the commencement of the live blogging...
Jeri said…
BTW - I think Elf-cat and Pipkitty are clones separated by time and geography.

Speaking of geography, it's a good thing you're 2500 some miles away or I'd end up with a real-life cougar-ish crush. :)
Leanright said…
Any chance you'll share with us which item in the box has been more enjoyable?
Eric said…
The beer, needless to say, is excellent.
Leanright said…
Alas, common ground.
Carol Elaine said…
I concur with the other trollops - yea, Evanpix!
neurondoc said…
A few days late, but I agree with the other trollops -- Evan-Pix. Yay! Sarah -- feh!

Popular Posts