"Quiet Little Voices"

A few weeks ago I was in the car, and I don't remember which satellite radio station I was listening to, but this amazing little song came on and was impressive enough that I had to send myself a text message whenever I was stopped at traffic lights--"Quiet Little Voices."

I finally downloaded a copy of Glasgow's We Were Promised Jetpacks' first full-length album, These Four Walls, from Amazon the other evening, and this record could easily become my latest crush. A reviewer at Amazon compared the album to early U2, as in Boy, October and War U2, and I think it's a good comparison--particularly to Boy (an album that, for all its faults, may be the most exciting record U2 ever made, though War probably remains my favorite U2 album).

But enough about those once-relevant Irishmen--we were talking about some bright young Scotsmen. Walls is just a damn good record if you like this sort of thing as much as I do--anthemic vocals, walls of chiming guitars, thumping martial drums, atmospherics. This is the kind of music that brings out your inner air guitarist or drummer; in the course of writing this little bit I think I've replayed "Voices" three or four times partly because I keep being interrupted by the need to thrash around a bit.

Really good stuff. This is what it's supposed to be all about, kids. We Were Promised Jetpacks, "Quiet Little Voices":




Comments

Popular Posts