Well, this looks like it'll be fun...



This, of course, being the view from my office circa 5:30 P.M. as I get ready to leave, as taken by my BlackBerry, which may or may not actually capture the sheer shittiness of this gloomy afternoon, or that it's a wee bit chilly at 55F° (yes, yes, I know: readers in godforsaken places like Alaska and Minnesota are currently enjoying the kinds of temperatures that harden Satan's nipples in the stygian depths of the Ninth Circle of Dante's Hell where he--Satan, I mean--is frozen up to his diabolical 'nads in bloody black ice; well it's not freezing here, but it is chilly enough to be unpleasant walking out to your car in the rain, thank you very much).

Can you tell that, as eager as I am to get the hell out of here and go home, I'm putting off getting out of here and going home? Yes, because this drive through the chilled grey rain is going to be bleary and drab, the tunes on the radio insufficient (however loud) to drown out the psychically grating squiiiiipe! of the windshield wipers rocking back and forth, a monotonous, repeating noise that is somehow audible to your eyes. After a shitty day at the office, a shitty drive home, hooray and all that.

Maybe if I wish hard enough, instead of me going home, home will come here. Eyes shut, concentrate... no, dammit, I failed. This has happened to me before, actually, or something like it. True story (he lied): I was in the audience for a performance of Peter Pan one time, and you know that part where everybody has to clap to bring Tinkerbell back? Yeah, well we didn't try hard enough, and she stayed dead. Worst part was that it was only the second show in the run, so all the audiences that came for the later shows were pissed at us. Little kids tugging at their parents' sleeves--"I want to see Tinkerbell. Where's Tinkerbell?" Parents telling their children about the "Fairies Farm" where fairies go to rest and chase rabbits, which is obviously complete horseshit. They're thinking of brownies, fairies hardly chase rabbits at all.

Awright. Can't put it off forever. Headed home. Wish me luck. Clap for me, even.



Comments

WendyB_09 said…
Don't feel bad, Atlanta's been like that all day. Craptastic day.

Something about a low pressure system, a backdoor wedgie getting stuck riding down the Appalachians and Gulf moisture riding up ahead of the cold front and high pressure that will clear all this out tomorrow.

Maybe then my headache will go away.
Carol Elaine said…
Clap. Clap. Clap.

What? Not sincere enough?
vince said…
Actually, most of the last two weeks here in Ely looked like that. Or white stuff. The sun actually came out today, and is supposed to exist some tomorrow, then back to rain, followed by snow.

And now, for the clapping:

Clap for the Wolfman
He gonna rate your record high
Clap for the Wolfman
You gonna dig him til the day you die
Tom said…
It sounds like you forgot the ruby slippers. Tap, tap, tap. There's no place like home...

Can you try it again? I know you can.
WendyB_09 said…
I dunno Tom, the commercial I just saw indicated it's the Pillsbury Dough Boy and the canned cresent rolls that work these days instead of ruby slippers.

Nothing sez home cookin' like a canned roll from the fridge, and Pillsbury sez it Best!!
mattw said…
You know, that's the same kind of weather we've been having here for a couple weeks, aside from the rare burst of sunshine. I'm just glad that we haven't gotten any water in the basement yet this fall. *fingers crossed*

So how was the drive home?
Eric said…
Heh: it was a craptacular drive home, Matt, but I made it alright. Thanks for asking.
Leanright said…
I work in Scottsdale, AZ at least 4days a month. Usually I plan for typical AZ weather, but a cold-blast from the northern mountains has it in the 50's today and tomorrow. I'M FREEZING! Good excuse for me to go buy a new coat since I forgot mine.

By the way, I really miss the changing of the leaves on the east coast. Thanks for the picture.

Popular Posts