Quote Of The Day (U.S. Armed Forced Edition)

This Court will not interfere in internal military affairs nor be used as a tool by military officers to avoid deployment. The Court has a word for such a refusal to follow the orders of the President of the United States, but it will leave the issue to the military to resolve.
-Judge David O. Carter, Order To Dismiss,
Barnett v. Obama, SACV 09-0082 DOC (ANx) (2009).


I figured some of the regulars might enjoy that comment from The Honorable Judge Carter, part of yesterday's order dismissing one of Orly Taitz's last remaining cases against the President Of The United States. I'm still reading the order, so there may (or may not) be some more choice excerpts to follow. (I'm not sure there will be any real commentary, since I frankly find Taitz's quixotic efforts to be so lame-brained that these dismissals seem inevitable for self-evident reasons.)

I will say this, though: I think I've wondered elsewhere (perhaps here or perhaps in the real world) what the Birthers were hoping to accomplish, since removing the President would, as every schoolchild knows, result in Vice-President Biden's succession. (And, I almost hate to say this, but who wants that? I mean, I actually like Joe, but, y'know, he's like your crazy goofy uncle who shows up at barbecues and tells awesome stories and sneaks you beers or lets you take his car for a spin around the gravel drive even though he thinks you're "sixteen, that's old enough," when really you're, like fifteen. Next week. Sure, he's a real kick in the pants, but you wouldn't actually want to spend the summer with him or something, because even though you're only fifteen--almost--even you know that the charms of having a parental unit whose idea of dinner is Cocoa Puffs and scrambled eggs would wear off in a day, day-and-a-half, tops.) Well, turns out Birther fantasies are a helluva lot scarier than that: seems that the injunctive relief they were seeking included a pretty-total shutdown of the Executive Branch while the President spent the next several years in court on a foolish crusade to prove his citizenship (I mean, at this point it's clear that the Birthers would continue to demand proof that the President was born on American soil even if somebody built a time machine that allowed them to teleport directly into Stanley Ann Dunham's uterus on August 4th, 1961), with new elections to be held if a judge found for the plaintiffs.

The idea is implausible, but it's also horrifying in its implications. Is that what The Birthers really wanted? Not just to subvert the democratic will of the people (after all, regardless of where the President was born--which, incidentally, was in the American state of Hawai'i--I don't think anyone is arguing that the President didn't enjoy a majority vote; on a related note, it's amusing to remember, as Judge Carter reminds us, that Birther plaintiffs Alan Keyes and Rev. Wiley Drake "received a total of four-hundredth of one percent of the popular vote for President"--dammit, if only people hadn't been tricked into voting for that Kenyan guy, maybe they would have voted for that other black guy, the one who got 1/4000th 4/10,000th of the popular vote!), but to ignore the actual text of the Constitution regarding succession and/or impeachment while effectively bringing all governmental functions, including the ability to effectively defend the country from attack, to a screaming halt? Really? Ye gods, it's beyond stupid and insane and well into Twilight Zone territory, get me Serling's ghost to narrate.

And it's the Birthers who are afraid Obama will destroy America? Really? I should be writing this post with interrobangs in every sentence.


Comments

Paul said…
Judge land and now judge Carter, smack down the crazies (case dismissed), poor little Birthers.

Not even “Fake News” Bill O’Reilly believes the crazies, how funny.

http://belowthebeltway.com/2009/10/29/bill-oreilly-slams-orly-taitz/

To all the birthers in La, La Land, it is on you to prove to all of us that your assertion is true (TOUGH WHEN YOU KEEP LOSING CASES), if there are people who were there and support your position then show us the video (everyone has a price), either put up or frankly shut-up. I heard Orly Taitz, is selling a tape (I think it’s called “Money, Lies and Video tape”). She is from Orange County, CA, now I know what the mean when they say “behind the Orange Curtain”, when they talk about Orange County, the captial of Conspiracy Theories. You know Obama has a passport, he travel abroad before he was a Senator, but I guess they were in on it.

In my opinion the Republican Party has been taken over the most extreme religious right (people who love to push their beliefs on others while trying to take away the rights of those they just hate) and that’s who they need to extract from their party if they real want to win. Good Luck, because as they said in WACO, “We Ain’t Coming Out”.

I heard that she now wants to investigate the “Republican 2009 Summer of Love” list: Assemblyman, Michael D. Duvall (CA), Senator John Ensign (NV), Senator Paul Stanley (TN), Governor Mark Stanford (SC), Board of Ed Chair, and Kristin Maguire AKA Bridget Keeney (SC).
Janiece said…
::snirk::

::snort::

::chortle::

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Err, sorry. Just couldn't hold it in.

::giggle::
Interrobang! Interrobang! Interrobang!

Thank you.
Tom said…
It's all very well to be snarky, but 1/400th of 1% is 1/4,000th of 10%, and 1/40,000th of the whole shebang. Don't let faulty math make a mockery of your mockery!
Eric said…
Corrected (I think), thank you, Tom.

Old joke: Q: "Why did you go to law school?" A: "Because there's a math section on the GRE."
Tom said…
So I see I got it wrong, too! 1 400th doe not equat 4 100ths! I made a mockery of my own mockery of your mockery...

But it does look like you corrected it properly.

And I used to think I was good a math.
Eric said…
Hey, I suppose I still could have reduced the fraction to 1/2500 if I hadn't been so bleary-eyed when I tried to process elementary-school fractions.

Popular Posts