Dead space

I've spent most of the afternoon surfing the internet, whining in a journal I'm keeping in Writer's Café, or opening and closing OpenOffice.org documents--blank ones or old ones where I started something or the other. And at this point, I have to just say I'm feeling downright depressed.

It hasn't been a total wasted day. A great lunch with my Dad and Karen, and when I got to the coffee shop I decided to buy some digital music from Amazon because I just sort of could, and I've been listening to that. Although, I hate to say it, but the album that's most-suited by mood so far has been the Melody Gardot. (I think this is someone Vince turned me on to on one of his WELY shows; if so, thank you, Vince. If not, I'm sure there's something else I should be thanking you for.) Mopey jazz standards--that's me, at the moment.

This intellectual constipation I've been inflicted with lately is sort of getting to me. I don't know what the root cause is, or if it's some wretched synchronicity of things. Maybe I need a retreat or something. Was it Hemingway who said if you wanted to write something, check into a hotel. It could have been Hemingway; he said a lot of things. He's probably said more things now than he actually ever said.

This is venting. I'm not really looking for a response or encouragement here. It's also a whiny sort of writing exercise in its own right, since the act of writing this and trying to put my frustrations into words (which, by the way, I'm failing to adequately do; just thought I'd mention that) is, you know, an act of writing and therefore isn't a matter of simply going through old unread Dark Roasted Blend entries in my RSS aggregator. It's a self-indulgent and boring act of writing, but whatever. It's something. Sort of.

Well.

Now that I've done that, I guess it's time to stare at a scree some more. Or I brought a book. Maybe I should sit here and read while my last new album plays out or until they kick me out, whichever comes first.

Hope your weekend is going better than mine has since lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts