Slump

On the one hand (never mind, poor choice of phrase)--

I'm sitting here, typing even though it hurts my wrist, instead of thinking about dinner. It's, oh, around 8:30 in the evening and I should eat something, but I have no desire to do anything right now, and that includes eating. I have tons of food, I should add; went to the supermarket yesterday and anyway before that I had a freezer full of stuff already.

And it's not precisely that I have no desire to do anything. I'd like to write, like to even play guitar. Would love to play a videogame other than Civilization IV, not that there's anything wrong with Civ IV. Matter of fact, it has the advantage of being playable with one hand which is probably why I'm sick of it at the moment. I'd love to work on some photos, which really requires the use of the mouse (or in my case, the trackball). Notice a theme here?

Here's what I was going to say in the first sentence: On the one hand, I don't want to whine; on the other hand, I need to vent. Alas, I only have the one hand, and this is what makes this perilously close to something which should be consumed with cheese and crackers. (Who am I kidding? It's not close, it's way over.) Speaking of which, do you know that one of the things I didn't pick up at the grocer was a bottle of wine? Because, you see, the thought of using a corkscrew intimidated me.

Hrm.

I went out to brunch today with every intention of staying up on the corner and drinking coffee all day and reading. Instead, I had brunch and came home and slept. This is something you don't quite appreciate, I think, in all those fantasy tales and such you grew up on and still love if you're me: Frodo slept so long after the whole saving-the-world-from-darkness thing because there actually wasn't much else he could do. I hate to think where I'd be if I was full of Shelob-venom and missing a finger; brunch would probably have been out of the question. It could be worse: I could be missing the whole hand and dealing with my daddy being the evil Emperor of the Galaxy's butt-boy, though I think having an R2 unit to send down to the liquor store would be a bigger compensation than you'd think, and having a robot hand would be pretty boss.

I think I'm sticking chicken nuggets and tater tots in the oven and watching a movie will be the plan, and then (almost regrettably, having slept half the day away) bed. Back to work in the morning, which may be a bad idea (based on how Thursday wiped me out, kept me at home Friday) or an okay one (Wednesday wasn't so bad, which is why Thursday was a shocker). Tuesday I go back to the doctor to see what the next step is. The movie will most likely be an old black and white Universal horror flick but could be something I've seen before if I'm not sick of my movie collection.

This whine probably hasn't helped you. It's helped me, however. Thank you. I'll try to come up with something better this week if I can. It's just this damn slump. (Oo, look! Title!)

G'night.

Comments

Good night sweet prince.

The morning is wiser than the evening, so may you feel better with the dawn.
vince said…
I'm not gonna be as literate as Michelle, but I know how tough it was for me when I broke my ankle, so I can sympathies. Just remember, you were in a car accident, with a shock to your physical and emotional system.

It's tough doing what you're doing. You're allowed to spend some time whining. Just remember the wine to go with it next time :-).
Eric feels slumpy, unable to eat, unable to fight his way into the packaging of one of those one handed gas operated cork pullers, so bravely soldiers on and types 565 words so that we'll know his pain.

We hear you, good sir. The worst thing about being sick or hurt is that despite having the time to goof off, write or watch all the movies you want to -- you don't feel like it.

We feel your pain and hope you recover quickly -- but don't overdo it. No relapsing.

Dr. Phil
I think something yummy should be on its way to you in about a week or so.

And it's not stinky tofu, though I am on my way to the land of lutefisk. o.O
MWT said…
It's your blog, you're supposed to whine on it. ;)
Eric said…
Oh dear... John's scaring me now....

;-)
Nathan said…
Your slumps are some of the most verbose slumps I've ever run across!

:D
Robbin said…
me feel slumpy too....

:(
Carol Elaine said…
For the B & W Universal horror flick, may I recommend Son of Frankenstein? I lovelovelove that movie and recently saw it on the big screen for the first time, with Sara Karloff introducing it live. It was fantastic.

Don't push yourself, Eric, and don't worry about needing to rest so much. As Vince said, you're still recovering from a physical and emotional shock. It's okay to be slumpy.

Also, what Michelle said.
Eric said…
Carol Elaine: recently saw it myself! I recently picked up the Universal box sets for Frankenstein, Dracula and the Wolf Man, and have been going through them in more-or-less chronological order (I'm holding off on the Spanish Dracula until I can really give it 100%). (If you check out the sidebar, you'll see Ghost Of Frankenstein was the most recently viewed in the set.)
leanright said…
These days, some very good wines have gone back to the screw top. Not joking. Especially up in the Columbia River Valley in Washington/Oregon.

Can't imagine that would be much easier.
Carol Elaine said…
Eric, the second movie of the double feature where I saw Son of Frankenstein was Ghost of Frankenstein. That was introduced by the actress who played the little girl (all grown up, of course). So very cool. Unfortunately, I was very tired and slept through 2/3 of the movie, despite the presence of Lionel Atwill and Sir Cedric Hardwicke (who, btw, is the father of my favorite Dr. Watson - Edward Hardwicke).

CuteFilmNerd has that same box set. I think I'm going to have to borrow it. And yes, Son is made of Teh Awesome. But it's got Basil Rathbone - how could it be otherwise?
Eric said…
Atwill, Hardwick and Lon Chaney Jr. taking over for Karloff as the monster... and yet it really just isn't that good, unfortunately. You didn't miss too much sleeping through it.

Son not only features Rathbone, Karloff and Lugosi (playing the iconic role of the hunchback, Ygor, no less--despite Igor/Ygor's association with the doctor, he doesn't appear in Frankenstein or Bride Of Frankenstein), it also introduces the one-armed police inspector who was the basis for Kenneth Mars' hysterical role in Young Frankenstein, all of which makes it kind of essential even if it isn't on the same level as the first two movies in the franchise.

And yeah, Basil Rathbone was awesome. If there was any justice, he would have kicked that smarmy Errol Flynn's ass in Captain Blood. Just because he was Basil Effing Rathbone.
Carol Elaine said…
No shit, Eric. I've seen Adventures of Robin Hood a billion times, partially because I'm hoping the end changes and Sir Guy runs Robin through, as it should be, considering Rathbone's superior fencing skills. Unfortunately that never happens, damn it. ;)

Did you know that the only film adversary who really gave Rathbone a real challenge in fencing was Danny Kaye in The Court Jester? Mainly because Rathbone was a bit older(though still fantastic) and Kaye was freaking inhuman when it came to learning fencing.

(As I enthused oh so dorkily to Anne this weekend, I ADORE Basil Rathbone. I'm practically a Rathbone encyclopedia. And I don't live all that far from one of his L.A. homes. I think I may need help...)

(BTW, much as I adore Rathbone, his French accent in Captain Blood was very, very bad. I guess Basil wasn't perfect at absolutely everything.)
Eric said…
See, the way I look at it, the French must be doing it wrong. Okay, I kid.

I haven't seen The Court Jester. I'll need to add it to my CafeDVD queue.

Popular Posts