Sunday note

It's chilly--54 F°--but it's obviously Spring: every bird in town is trying to get laid. They're singing, flirting, chasing each other around, doing little dances in the air. Beautiful day.

I walked up to the Smelly Cat in the hopes maybe I could get some writing done; plus, it's just one of those days you don't want to be in the house, you know? Even if I fail to get anything done (unlikely), there's still the niceness of sipping a latte while listening to The Clash over the café speakers ("London Calling," proof you can write a kickass rock & roll song with, like, basically two notes, if they're the right notes; and now The Who's "My Generation" has come up on their speakers, an apt follow-up actually), looking up at every now and then at the art that's on sale on the walls.

I think I have the new Ubuntu installation mostly workable as a workspace. Here's what it looks like at the moment:



There's still miscellaneous issues--DigiKam is still not wanting to allow me to open .NEF photos directly into GIMP with a right click (there's somebody reading that line to whom it makes sense, trust me). Amarok doesn't want to start automatically at startup in the tray (I can run it as a starting service, but it fully opens instead of opening in the tray, which is where I want it); some of these are basically peeves. I can work around DigiKam acting funny or maybe even use Google's Picasa browser (which isn't bad, though it's clearly a WINE port and not a truly native app), and just starting Amarok even when I wasn't necessarily going to use it was just a waste of resources. And then there are some things that are just quirks. But we're up and running.

Hope everybody else is having a nice Sunday afternoon, wherever and whenever you are.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Honey. Your writing about this gorgeous day makes me want to be lazy. I may just sit outside and read and watch my porch and yard full of birds. Reading Michele's Grandma story made me homesick. I will try to leave her a message telling her that there is so much more to my birthplace, Frostburg than Noah's Ark!! I loved her pictures. Love, Mom
Jim Wright said…
aaaaaaaaahh! Eric, you've got a little smudge on your face, here hold still while I ....

(Sorry, sooner or later my mom's gonna comment on my blog then I'm going to be in trouble.)

Hi, Eric's Mom.

Seriously though Eric, tell me again about how chilly it is?

It's 4F here right now.
Eric said…
Actually, it's warmed up considerably--we're now in the low 60s and it's a beautiful day outside.

Mom was thinking about commenting at Michelle's blog: she loved the entry about riding through western Maryland (where my parents are from). I haven't checked to see if she actually left a comment yet or not.
Eric said…
(Oh, and in case the first paragraph wasn't clear, Jim: neener neener.)
Eric's Mom,

Feel free to comment any time over at my place!

Both my parents went to Frostburg State College (now university), and my great grandparents lived in Luke, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. :)
Oh Jim, it's about 60 here, and we just got back from a hike at the Arboretum.

Perfect weather for a walk in the woods.

Popular Posts