Status report

Writing is hard, y'know. That's a no-brainer, dumbass statement to make, but that's where we're going to start today because, dammit, writing is hard.

So the thing I've been working on writing-wise, or not working on (since it's been a hard clog) is being put on hiatus and I'm going to try writing something else for awhile and see how that goes. I'm not abandoning the book I started last NaNoWriMo--I have well over fifty thousand words in it, notes, research, a bunch of virtual note cards in Writer's Café; I fully intend to come back to it.

But it's in a rough place right now. I need to step away, before I start hating it.

Meanwhile, getting things set up on the new machine remains a challenge. I'm still not fully acclimated to the KDE4 desktop, DigiKam is still being a problem child, and I have heaps of settings and files I need to copy over from the old computer.

This is why we still have no photographs up from the snow day in Charlotte two weeks ago or anything else I've shot in the meantime. And I owe my sister some photos from Christmas--Bird, you haven't been forgotten.

I think this sums up the status report at the moment. Otherwise, I'm fine. Things seem to be reasonably well; I've been tired, partly (I think) because of the Daylight Savings adjustment or readjustment. I remain confused, to be honest, about whether we're "on" or "off" Daylight Savings when we've sprung forward or fallen back--every time I think I have the whole thing sussed out, I manage to misprogram a piece of consumer electronics and have to reconsider the whole thing. It's possible it's not me at all, that it's all them: it may be that no two pieces of gear treat Daylight Savings the same way because the programmers don't know either.

But when the worst piece of drama you have to bitch about is that you've had difficulties reprogramming your machines and doohickeys and apparati, I imagine that's not too shabby.

Right, so: writing's bad, energy's low, machines are conspiring against me, but other than that everything's not too bad. Is that the summary? I think it is. How are you today?


Comments

vince said…
Work, cleaning, napping, and lasagna will be had for supper. And I'll be watching the fully restored M*A*S*H in just a bit.

I agree with you about being tired and that Daylight Savings Time is the root of all stupidity or something like that.

So I'd have to say a pretty good day.
mattw said…
Unbelievably busy weekend at work, and I signed up for two Sundays in a row, so I wont have a full day off for another two weeks *facepalm*.

I was invited back to a second interview for the library job, so I must have done something good. *takes back facepalm*.

Logan spent the last two nights in his new big boy bed, which means I've spent part of the last two nights sleeping next to him in his big boy bed when he wakes up at 4:30. *tired groan*

My rewrite of the 08 NaNoWriMo hasn't been going well either. Maybe we should swap novels and we can finish each others. ;)
Eric said…
Heck, Nathan was jonsing for another UCF writing project. Maybe we should all send each other our recalcitrant novels. We can draw for them, secret Santa style.

Popular Posts