Writing software

This was meant to be a one-post day, but I thought I'd relate this because it's a small gesture towards recognizing awesomeness.

I've previously mentioned that I've been using Writer's Café to help me write--the storyboards function is pretty keen, I've been keeping a writing journal when my book is active (sadly, there's a long gap in entries between November and this past week), the corkboard is where I have a whole bunch of pictures and weblinks and cut'n'pasted paragraphs from online references--it's an awesome piece of software. But I was having some technical issues with the storyboard causing the program to crash when I was attempting to add a level--a big enough problem that I finally sent an e-mail to the developers yesterday afternoon.

This morning--within hours, really, of receiving my e-mail--I had a response seeking some additional information about my problem. And then, before I even had a chance to respond (both messages were in my inbox when I checked my e-mail this morning), I had this (and I hope Mr. Smart doesn't object to my posting his message):

Hi Eric,

I've figured out the problem and I'll release a new version of W.C. next
week, but if you need it fixed sooner I'll make a private release.

Best regards,

Julian


My mind--is blown. I am impressed, stunned, amazed, and in awe of these fine folks. I've had problems with software from ginormous companies and from tiny companies consisting of two guys in a basement somewhere, and everything in between (who hasn't?), and I cannot recall ever seeing such a fast solution; hell, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a quick response.

The worthiness of Writer's Café just quadrupled, quintupled, sextupled in my eyes. I don't have an emergency, so I'll wait for the official release next week--but this is something I'll pass along here, because I know a lot of the folks who regularly drop in are aspiring-writer types. Many of you, I know, have your established patterns or are already settled on a particular program or set of programs--but if you're looking to start using a writing aid program or to make a change, add this to the list of benefits for Writer's Café: excellent customer service.

Just wanted to pass that along. Now back to your regularly scheduled posting.


Comments

Excellent customer service is one of the best things of the modern world.

Too bad so few companies get it.
mattw said…
That's pretty incredible customer service.

I've just been using MS Word, but I've been thinking of checking out different writing software. I should look into that.
Eric said…
Matt: Writer's Café isn't a word processor, so it won't replace Word (or whatever you might be using); what it will do is give you this extra toolbox to use alongside your word processor to help you storyboard, keep notes, journal, keep track of characters and places, keep track of research bits, etc.

The demo is free, so you should definitely look into it: if you like it, the registration fee is reasonable, and if you don't, you obviously won't have lost anything.

Popular Posts