Matt Harding confesses

Some of you may remember a video that circulated last year and was even featured here at Giant Midgets and also at Hot Chicks Dig Smart Men: Matt Harding, a computer programmer, quit his job and travelled around the world, filming himself dancing and random people he met dancing, an expression of the joy and beauty of being human.

Turns out it was a hoax. A cruel, horrible hoax. A cruel horrible hoax perpetrated with Photoshop™. Photoshop™ and robots.

Here's Mr. Harding confessing to his sick, cruel, heartless, evil dancing-robot scam:






I feel abused. Horribly, horribly abused. "Bearded French Guy Doing Some Kind Of Weird Jig" was one of my favorite parts of the video, and to discover it was nothing more than an unbelievably-sophisticated animatronic device sporting cutting-edge fake skin and ultra-realistic hair carefully inserted using top-of-the-line video editing techniques--I'm at a loss of words, frankly. Anybody can spend millions of dollars on computer graphics and expensive humanoid simulacra all for the venal purpose of selling an obscure chewing gum brand. Traveling around on a shoestring budget with nothing more than a video camera and a big grin, infecting people with a sense of optimism and joy--I should have known that was completely impossible.

My heart is broken.

If only there was a short video I could watch to restore my hope and faith in humanity.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Today is the day when innocence died. I will never trust any viral internet video phenomenon celebrity again.

MAAAAAAATTT!
Eric said…
My Dad pointed out that the original YouTube posting of Harding's confession includes a link to the pie chart Harding briefly displays in the video. And I can see why the chart is so briefly flashed on the screen behind him! The scandalous waste of money, including large sums spent on an animatronic masseuse and hair extensions, plus what is clearly a non-competitive, first-bidder (if not a rigged, fixed price) rate for robot uprising insurance (believe me, you can get a better deal if you shop around online)--all add up to make this whole thing the worst scandal of the twenty-first century, nothing else I can think of in the past eight years coming even close to this horrific fraud and waste of resources. Don't even get me started on the "hush money" wedge, when you can hire a crazy, homicidal hobo at the bus station to beat somebody to death with his bindle-stick for twenty bucks or a Whopper value meal if you're willing to take the time to really whittle him down (don't ask me how I know this, but take my word for it: you can even eat half his fries).
Anonymous said…
Wow, I'm so disillusioned - both at the hoax and the overspending.

Zach could have probably made a video like this with a Flip video, his nerdy friends and an all-nighter.

Popular Posts