Sunday miscellany

It's a slow, lazy Sunday and that's just as well. The weather finally broke, after a couple of days of rain, but I didn't go anywhere because there's a fuel shortage around here since Ike shut down a lot of the Gulf Coast refineries.

Nobody has a really good explanation of why we're having the problems we are. The news reports say that North Carolina gets a lot of our petrol from the Coast, but it still seems odd as an explanation. And it's been a little dire and a little crazy: gas lines, stations closing down, people getting into fights, traffic snarled and the police called out to stand around in front of convenience stores to keep the peace. A little crazy, I tell ya'. I was happy to get a tank of regular yesterday, after being down to an eighth of a tank for two days, despite the fact the VW Beetle's owner manual says to never ever use regular gas or Awful Things happen.

(Let's see: fuel shortages and gas lines, an extremely unpopular President, conflict in the Middle East, tensions with Russia--holy crap, people, we've gone through a time warp back to 1979! Alright... anybody who hasn't been born yet, don't interfere with your parents unless you want to cause a paradox and thereby cease to exist. Me, I'm going to see if I can catch a show at CBGB and then buy into Microsoft....)

I've spent most of the day hanging out upstairs with the laptop, listening to music. The sound system is upstairs; most of the time when I'm downstairs I listen to MP3s on a 500GB hard drive, served up by a laptop that's down there. I listen to too many MP3s, it's easy to forget what music is really supposed to sound like. I came up here and listened to The Wall and now I'm doing Kate Bush's first five albums on the multichanger (even Lionheart, which I'm not a huge fan of), and they just sound really, really good compared to what I've allowed myself to get used to.

(The Dreaming is up right now, and I just have to say: I love the fuck out of this album. I thought about saying something and not saying something, but I have to say it. It's a brilliant fucking record. Maybe, if I ever get that Floyd series done, I should go through Kate's catalogue the same way. I adore that woman.)

I went through my photos, and worked on five. These are kind of toss-offs; I think I may also upload a pair of them to DeviantArt, but mostly I did these to have something to put up. I'll try to get some new photos over the next week or so if I can.




Bee (12th July 2008)
A photo from the USNWC trails. Other pictures from the same set were previously featured here.

Cat Cloud (7th July 2008)
An overexposed (1600 ISO) photograph of the Elf-cat that I thought was interesting, so I kept it.

Branch And Leaves (25th July 2008)
The USNWC trails again. It was overcast, and the original RAW isn't much brighter than this (it almost looks grayscale even in color). But there's something minimalist about the silhouette that I like.

Spheres (3rd August 2008)
From the TIAA-CREF garden walk with Rose and Petal last month.

Tall Grass (9th September 2008)
The USNWC trails, about a week, week-and-a-half ago.


Like I said, I need to get some new pictures taken. The USNWC trails are basically on my way to-and-from work; if the weather stays clear enough, maybe I can get out there a night or two this week. And I should probably get up early some weekend morning and see if there's anything interesting to shoot in the neighborhood. But anyway, there's--yes, I think we have it--there's a blog post. Hope your weekend so far has been fine and your week is even finer!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What is TRULY special, and just like 1979, neither New York baseball team will be in the postseason.

And you call yourself an athiest!

If that doesn't make someone a believer, I don't know what will.

Go Angels
Anonymous said…
I also like the spheres - there's something about that composition, with the closeup and the repeated midrange sphere that is really effective.

I also like your experiments in shallow depth of field. Zach has been playing with that lately too and it can be a really effective way to emphasis your subject matter.

Popular Posts