Neverwednesday Nights

Looking back at the Neverwednesday entry featuring Hole's "Northern Star," it occurs to me that Love's reference to "running to the pines" is quite likely a reference to the traditional song "In The Pines," (also known as "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"), made famous by Lead Belly.

Why would Love be referencing this classic folk/blues number about death and betrayal?

From Nirvana's MTV Unplugged performance, the other famous version of "In The Pines." I hope you enjoy it: I find it harrowing and--is there a word for something that is beautiful and disturbing, for a kind of lovely suffering? (The Germans or French probably have one, I'm sure; in English the best phrases I come up with suggest some sort of sick sadomasochism.) Anyway, I find it beautiful, you may just find it nasal and whining.




Happy Wednesday, and may your loved ones remain un-decapitated. May they remain capitated? Stupid language.

Comments

Popular Posts