Hope

Earlier today, I very nearly posted a bit of snark inspired by a piece in Slate this week about religious bigotry in Saudi elementary school textbooks. And I didn't, because it just seemed bitter and pointless. I'm not even going to link to the article in this post; you can seek it out yourself, if you want. No, I only mention it because this evening I hit Astronomy Picture Of The Day, like I always do, and today's entry was evidence that maybe the species isn't totally fucked after all:




APOD comments, "...few people are able to watch the above video without smiling." And I smiled, and actually I think there may have been something wrong with one of my eyes by the three-quarters mark, just saying. Maybe it's the glass of Riesling with dinner, or maybe we have a shot at being okay; maybe the fact that the capacity for joy is a universal constant is our out. Either way, I'd rather post this than the post I deleted, and I hope you smile.

Comments

Nathan said…
I was laughing seconds into the thing. Tearing up by 1/4 way through. Going "Yay, dude" over the "Nellis AF Base shot"

Thanks for showing us this.
Eric said…
I missed it on your blog! Now I feel like a grump and a goob--but it looks like I'm not the only one....
Anonymous said…
That is pretty cool.

I looked up his site - wherethehellismatt.com. Apparently he's a 31 year old ex-deadbeat who decided to travel, Stride gum saw his first video, and sponsored his second and third world travel trips.

Why, again, did I choose a live of corporate cubicle slavery? And more importantly, where are there no corporate fairy godmothers hovering swooping in to fund my world travel/novel writing/metalsmithing avocations?

Maybe I should post a video of me working on my novel. THAT'D be exciting. :D
MWT said…
Heheh. Just as good the second time around. :)
Nathan said…
Rubik's cubes are the harbinger of the AntiChrist. Yessireee, Bob, sure as shootin'.

The ones with all the side's painted white are the only Godly ones you should suffer to live. And verily, the Lord came down from the skyMall™ and he done smote the unGodly colored Rubik's cubes and the evil bastards what's been tryin' to trade 'em.

Eric, you shall surely roast for participation in proliferation of colored Rubik's Cubes.

What? What the hell do you mean Hijack? Naw, they's talkin about Rubik's cubes right there. I ain't hijacked nuthin.
Eric said…
Actually, Nathan, my correction/comment would be that you're obviously thinking of a Lament Configuration, not a Rubik's Cube. There's an easy test you can use to determine which you're holding:

I just solved this puzzle. Am I now being ripped apart by fishhooks and/or listening to some creepy goth drone on and on about devouring my soul and exquisite torment and blahblahblah until I suffer an eternity of fucking boredom and want to just peel my skin off my own fucking self, okay?

Yes: I just solved the Lament Configuration.

No: I just solved a Rubik's Cube.


See? Pretty simple.
Nathan said…
Thank you.

That clears up everything.

Popular Posts