Neverwednesday Nights

As a sequel to last Wednesday's Genesis video and last Sunday's Kate Bush treat, here's Peter and Kate performing "Another Day":



I stumbled across it on YouTube. A little bit of digging on Wikipedia reveals it's a Roy Harper cover that was performed for Kate's 1979 Christmas Special for the BBC. There's little more I can tell you about it, other than that it's lovely and sad.


(Roy Harper remains someone who is something of a hole in my musical education. The only thing I know I've heard "by" him isn't: his guest vocal on Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar" on the album Wish You Were Here; and then of course there's Led Zeppelin namechecking him on the fine "Hats Off To Roy Harper" off Led Zeppelin III. And did I hear he spent some time in an asylum at some point? Other than that--damn, I should probably get some Roy Harper sometime and check out his work.)


It also raises a vital question that I would like Ms. Bush and Mr. Gabriel to answer by what ought to be a simple deed, even for anally-retentive perfectionists like themselves who have been known to take more than a decade between albums: after all the fine work they've done together (most famously their duet "Don't Give Up" on Gabriel's 1986 So), why the hell don't they record an album together? Something like Emmylou Harris's and Mark Knopfler's All The Roadrunning. The only excuses I can think of--like, "The unearthly beauty would unnerve men in women to such an extent that civilization might collapse"--really don't seem sufficient. Fuck civilization if I get to listen to that record just once. It could be an album of covers, you know? Or originals, obviously I'd love originals, but those two voices serve each other so perfectly I'd take anything.


Here's to the hope the vagaries of Google somehow bring this post to the attention of someone who might raise the question to their eminences--I know that's unlikely and I don't mean to be pretentious, but "God Of The Tapeworms" somehow came up high on a list so who knows what could happen. To Whom It May Concern: Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush should record an album together, and I have no objection to it being a 2-CD set like Ms. Bush's recent Aerial. Thank you in advance; Sincerely, Eric at Shoulders Of Giant Midgets. P.S. If they could release it in January, it would be a really awesome birthday present. Just saying.



Comments

vince said…
A good overview of Harper's stuff is "Counter Culture", a double CD that features 25 songs over 35 years of his recordings.

If your looking for entire albums, I recommend his 1971 album "Stormcock" (one of his best if not his best), "Flat, Baroque And Berserk", and "The Dream Society". All can be purchased from Harper's site (you'd be ordering from England), but I believe at least the first two can be had through Amazon. I know the last is available only as an import.
Eric said…
Thanks for the recommendations! I've added the three available from Amazon to my shopping list over there.

Popular Posts