While my guitar moans, shudders and wails...

Okay, so Jim has provoked two posts today. I just read a comment on Stonekettle Station where he knocks Prince. Which prompted me to see if this was still on YouTube, and it is:



Say what you want about the man. (Boy George's infamous description of Prince--"a midget dipped in oil and rolled in pubic hair"--is pretty funny, I have to admit.) The dude can play guitar. He takes that solo to places Eric Clapton fears to tread. And he recorded a string of really, really brilliant albums. Okay, not everyone gets the funk, I understand that. But....


Oh hell, I can't even think of anything clever to say. Just watch the damn clip again.


Wow.


Comments

Nathan said…
OK, I never saw that one before. It's pretty damned good.

BTW, the little paragraph you've got under your "About Me" thing. What's that from. It seems really familiar or did I hallucinate having read it before.
Eric said…
It really is some impressive showmanship.

You haven't hallucinated anything: the current location is a reference to a movie about some people who pick up a hitchhiker and its sequel, in which some other people go on a hunting trip in the boonies. The previous image I used featured me standing in front of Godzilla and listed the location as Tokyo. In a few months I'll "relocate."

You may not be able to tell because the image is so small, but there's an AOL avatar (made for ficlets, dubbed a "wee me" if I remember correctly) in the foreground. The background will be more recognizable if you hit the wikipedia link.
Nathan said…
Thanks. That was driving me crazy.
Jim Wright said…
not everyone gets the funk

[Raises hand] yeah, I'm one of those people. Not getting teh funky.
Anonymous said…
I also understand that, his short stature aside, Prince is very good at basketball. Unless Charlie Murphy was lying to me, which I just can't believe.
Eric said…
Jim: We need to work on this. Perhaps we can start you easy with a small dose of Greatest Hits by Sly and the Family Stone, and then work you up to some Mothership Connection.

Anyone can get the funk, Jim. Funk transcends the melanin in your skin or how much kink is in your hair. As long as you have a working ass, it can be stirred and shaken. We just need to find the right keys to your funkification. Brothers and sisters, if you have a suggestion for helping Jim find his missing funk, please help the brother!

wellsian: That story has to be true, because if it's not then it's possible that Charlie Murphy was lying about Rick James messing up Eddie Murphy's sofa. And both of those stories have to be true even if they're outright lies. Because some things have to be true or there's simply not much point in living, is there?

Popular Posts