Billy's Balloon

As I mentioned in an earlier post that appears later in this blog (temporal... paradoxes... of... linear... post-by-date format... causing... time... distortion...), I'm going out tonight so I won't be writing a real entry. But I have a treat for you, something better than a blog entry.


I have Billy's Balloon for you.


This is an award-winning Canadian animated short by Don Hertzfeldt that has all the hallmarks of Canadian animated shorts: it's bizarre, cruel, surreal and extremely funny. I had the privilege of seeing it at a local film festival last year. If you've seen it before, I hope you enjoy it again. If you haven't, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Now....


Lights down, no smoking, no cell phones, remember you can get delicious snacks at the concession stand in the lobby. Also, if you take your ticket stub to Hermann's Delicious China Cuisine after the show, you can get 10% off any single entrée priced at $12.95 or more. And now for our main feature... Billy's Balloon:






CORRECTION 02/23/2008: Michael asked if I made up the claim that Billy's Balloon was Canadian. The answer is no, I didn't make that up, not exactly, but I was wrong. I may have misremembered, or I may have been erroneously informed. I went back and checked, and according to IMDB and Wikipedia, Hertzfeldt made Billy's Balloon at UC-Santa Barbara. My bad. But you have to admit, it is very Canadian for a not-Canadian animated short.


Comments

Nathan said…
You'll laugh...You'll cry...

No actual stick figures were harmed in the making of this film...
Anonymous said…
It's a classic short, but....CANADIAN? Did you just make that up?
Eric said…
No, but I was wrong. It's been corrected. Thank you for pointing out the mistake.

Popular Posts