NaNoWriMo daily update

32,365/50,000
Words

At the end of today, I'm supposed to have 33,340 words. So I'm what? 975 words behind? About half a day, then. Roughly. Not bad, considering I didn't get around to writing until around 10:30 p.m. or so. Not sure what the delay was.

I wasn't feeling too funny. This may be another day of stuff that needs to be deleted, although I probably have saved myself some trouble by shunting a character off to the side.

For some reason, when Our Hero got on the bus to go on tour, his girlfriend got on the bus with him. I'm not sure why she did that, except that she wanted to. The problem, or a problem, is that she didn't really need to be there. In fact, she was kind of an extra dangly piece at that point. She's a good character and all, so it's nothing personal: but she's secondary to the roadshow part of the story, and as long as she's there with the other characters her whereabouts sort of have to be accounted for and her presence reckoned with. If Our Hero is in a motel room, or goes to dinner, or gets hassled by cops, where's Zoë (the girlfriend)?

So tonight she went home. Which was something I think she was likely to do anyway. Hopefully, it was an organic thing. It got a little complicated, though, because she and Stewart had a fight, and I didn't want that to become a major complication--she couldn't really dump him at this stage. I mean, she could, but that takes the story off somewhere else it doesn't need to go.

Another complication is the realization that I've now exhausted my "page of funny bits that can happen to the hero." When I started this, I wrote up a page of things that could happen in the story, little one-liners for a little story. It doesn't sound like much, but it seemed like more than enough for a story that verges on novella-length. I even worried it might be "too much" to happen to one guy, too much Spinal Tap redux. I didn't want to get too over the top. But I've scratched some scenes, and others seem improbable, and so I find my list is now... done. Oops.

We'll see, though. I'm still telling myself it has promise, and that I'm not going to chicken out with this the way I have with other pieces... assuming it doesn't suck.

I think my dad recently started looking at the blog, and other people may be drifting in. When I first started posting NaNoWriMo updates, I included a link to the excerpt of the first chunk--that link has probably gotten hard to find, so here it is again, just in case you want to look. It's still the first section: I thought about updating it with the masturbation scene, which I finally wrote the other day--I think the masturbation scene might be kinda funny. But I'm leaving the original excerpt for now.

Anyway, that's your NaNoWriMo update for the day....



Comments

Popular Posts