Frustrated

I seem incapable of getting much done. I think I did have one small breakthrough, but it didn't lead to any text. Maybe it's the coffee, but I'm starting to feel a bit cranky.

On the plus side, I'm listening to a boot of a Bolshoi concert from 1987. Portsmouth Polytechnic, October 17, 1987, to be more precise about it.

The Bolshoi were a band I first heard about in college, during the year I spent at UNCC. This would have been... 1991, I believe, which is about three years after they broke up. A guy whose name I can't even remember now had a copy of Friends which he played all the time. Maybe a year later, I saw a used copy of Lindy's Party in a bin at a record store. (Thinking about it, it might even have been a couple of years--it may have been a record store in Chapel Hill, which could have been '94 or so.)

It wasn't too hard to find a used copy of Friends, but other albums were harder to come by. Several years back, I was able to get a batch of albums including the Giants mini-album on vinyl, only to discover that Beggars' Banquet was doing a reissue of just about everything they'd done, along with a "Best Of" compilation that had some b-sides and odd tracks.

The Bolshoi were a bit pop and a bit glam. They were sometimes compared unfavorably and perhaps unfairly with Bauhaus, a comparison that ends almost as soon as the needle (or laser) hits the track. The lead singer/guitarist, Trevor Tanner, was pretty solid on the strings and knew how to write a catchy tune.

Anyway, I didn't really want to write a review of the band, which I'm perilously close to having to do by accident, and I don't think I have the brainpower. If you're interested, a slew of live bootlegs can be found here. The sound quality on some is a bit spotty, but the 10/17 show sounded fairly good. And if anyone knows who the hell "Doharty" is, and why we're talking about him at Lindy's party, feel free to comment.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Why not ask Trevor yourself?

myspace.com/trevortanner

Yup, it's him. He logs in quite often.
Eric said…
That's an interesting idea--I may have to do that. Thank you for the link!
Robbin said…
if you go on myspace you will have to invite me to be your friend and then you can read my pathetic blog that isn't updated very often.
Robbin said…
p.s. thank you for the patty griffin cd. i got it today!

Popular Posts