The Dread Gazebo
I don't even begin to understand the processes by which spam gets generated. I suppose I'm overthinking it. No doubt it just gets sent to addresses on a list, or even randomly-generated addresses.
Anyway, yesterday I got this in the junkmail:

Now, there's probably nothing obviously funny about that ad, unless you're an old-school gamer, in which case you may be making the same association I am: I cannot hear or read the word "gazebo" without my brain immediately flashing to what is arguably the greatest pen'n'paper RPG story ever told. Is it true? Does it matter? It's one of those utterly-perfect anecdotes, and best-of-all I don't think you have to be a gamer to understand it or get the joke (or the slightly-more-serious point you can make from it). If you haven't read it, or if it's been awhile, go take a look at it; it's an oldie but a goodie. (It's also, coincidentally, about a guy named Eric, but I'm not bragging about that--he doesn't exactly come off well.)
Have a great Wednesday, free and clear of any Dread Gazebos you might tangle with (or may you have an axe, or fire, or--better yet--a +2 fiery axe).
Anyway, yesterday I got this in the junkmail:
Now, there's probably nothing obviously funny about that ad, unless you're an old-school gamer, in which case you may be making the same association I am: I cannot hear or read the word "gazebo" without my brain immediately flashing to what is arguably the greatest pen'n'paper RPG story ever told. Is it true? Does it matter? It's one of those utterly-perfect anecdotes, and best-of-all I don't think you have to be a gamer to understand it or get the joke (or the slightly-more-serious point you can make from it). If you haven't read it, or if it's been awhile, go take a look at it; it's an oldie but a goodie. (It's also, coincidentally, about a guy named Eric, but I'm not bragging about that--he doesn't exactly come off well.)
Have a great Wednesday, free and clear of any Dread Gazebos you might tangle with (or may you have an axe, or fire, or--better yet--a +2 fiery axe).

Comments
We also had a bunch of kids hesitant to enter one patch of woods because we convinced them it was home to a herd of extremely territorial leaping gazebos.
Young couples hearing us discussing them seems to end their conversations for some reason.